> IR Windows – Technical Content
IR Windows – Technical Content
IR Window Installation Overview (PDF)
This tech-note is designed to briefly answer common questions about installing IR windows:
- Where do I position an IR windows for best visibility?
- What is the field of view I should expect to see through an IR window?
- How do I cut the window aperture?
- What should I do about obstructions like phase dividers or cable drops?
Arc Resistance and IR Windows (PDF)
This white paper is designed to answer common questions about arc resistance standards and how they apply to infrared windows:
- Is there an arc resistance standard for IR windows?
- What does it mean when manufacturers talk about arc resistance testing?
- What is an IR window’s role in protecting personnel from Arc Flash?
Polymer Optics for Industrial Use (PDF)
IR windows can be quickly divided into two camps — those with industrial-grade optics made of polymer, and those that use a crystal optic that is better suited to laboratory use. This tech-note will touch on some of the benefits that industrial-grade polymers offer for use in electrical inspections:
- What are the advantages for data accuracy?
- What are the advantages for durability and impact resistance?
- What are the advantages for longevity and environmental compatibility?
Other Topics Related to Inspection Windows and Electrical Safety?
Changes NFPA70-2015 and CSA Z462-2015 (PDF)
The 2015 revisions found in the world’s most influential Electrical Safety standards, NFPA 70E and CSA Z462, have some far reaching implications. While this white paper is not intended to be a substitute for reading these standards in their entirety, we have summarized some of the more important changes:
- What is the new method of selecting PPE in the “Tables Method”
- Why is there additional focus on separating the concepts of Hazard and Risk?
- What is “Normal Operating Condition?”
Insurance, NFPA 70B and IR Scans (PDF)
Most large facilities are required by their insurer to perform IR inspections annually. This tech-note will explore where this requirement comes from:
- Why does my insurer require annual IR scans of our power distribution equipment?
- What is the NFPA 70B standard? And what doe 70B have to do with my insurer?
- What do the standards say about IR scans?
OSHA Top 10 Infractions (PDF)
Each year OSHA ranks the Top 10 most cited violations. Each year, electrical safety violations occupy 3 of the top ten positions:
- What are the most frequent citations for OSHA violations?
- What is the best way to avoid personnel injuries and OSHA Violations?